I am singularly unimpressed with this rather ordinary production that does not live up to its title or advance promotion and publicity.
Like most documentaries on a controversial subject, the Epoch Times’ documentary, “The Real Story of January 6,” tells you A story, not THE story.
Running one hour and forty-two minutes end-to-end, we see video clips and interspersed commentary whose message appears to be:
(1) There is a deliberate disconnect between what we are told and allowed to see and an equally plausible counter-narrative. The progressive mainstream media appears to be burying the truth, especially with regard to the murder of Ashli Babbitt and the protection of the identity of the U.S. Capitol Police officer, Lt. Michael Byrd, who killed her.
(2) There was misconduct, including criminal activity, on both sides.
(3) There appears to be an unexplained presence of unknown agitators, possibly intelligence or law enforcement plants, and official bad actors. It appears that the authorities may not be interested in many unindicted suspicious actors and unidentified material witnesses.
(4) The riot was exacerbated by an understaffed and ill-supervised police force whose brutality and actions should be investigated as criminal matters.
(5) Two cases involving criminally inappropriate use of force against protestors appear to be homicides that should have been investigated and the perpetrators charged.
(6) The issue is being exploited for political gain by a partisan group of legislators inappropriately.
(7) A real investigation is not being conducted and should be a priority in the future, especially regarding the human rights abuses perpetrated by the government on, as yet innocent, citizens being inappropriately held in pretrial detention in Washington D.C. and elsewhere -- many in horrible conditions that appear to be punitive.
There were overly dramatic staged “hero” shots of narrator Joshua Philipp, host of “Crossroads” on Epoch TV and a senior investigative reporter at The Epoch Times.
Is it comprehensive coverage? No.
Are the interpretations correct? Maybe.
Is it worth watching? Only if you are a fanatic or deeply interested in the subject matter.
Is it worth a second viewing? No.
Conclusion: We don't know what we don't know; there must be a genuine investigation by serious non-partisan individuals.
The Real Story of January 6 | documentary
What Really Happened on January 6?
Do we really know what took place in Washington on Jan. 6, 2021? Was it a coup, a riot, an insurrection, or a protest?
While the dust from January 6, 2021, has long cleared, it has been replaced by a smoke screen. A carefully crafted narrative has been set that claims the events of that day amounted to a “violent insurrection.” This claim, however, does not match the facts. “The Real Story of January 6” takes an objective look at what happened through the eyes of those who were there. The Epoch Times provides the first comprehensive look into what really happened that day. The Truth can’t be hidden.
After more than 18 months of heated rhetoric, political commentary, and nonstop media coverage, do we really know what took place in Washington on January 6, 2021? Was it a coup, a riot, an insurrection, or a protest?
Jasper Fakkert, editor-in-chief of The Epoch Times, said: “There has been a narrative perpetuated about January 6 that omits many of the facts about what happened that day.
The film takes a close look at the shooting of 35-year-old Air Force veteran Ashli Babbitt and the deaths of three other supporters of former President Donald J. Trump. It analyzes the police response to the massive crowds and use of force around the U.S. Capitol.
It examines the human impacts of January 6, including the suicide of one defendant and the long pretrial imprisonment of dozens of others. It also investigates claims that some of the attacks on the Capitol and police were carried out by unindicted suspicious actors.
“The Real Story of January 6” will premiere in a live stream on EpochTV and then be available on demand. To watch the documentary, click here.
“The Real Story of January 6,” a documentary by The Epoch Times, reveals the truth that has been hidden from the American people. While a narrative has been set that what took place that day was an insurrection, key events and witnesses have been ignored, until now. The documentary takes an unvarnished look at police use of force and the deaths that resulted in some measure from it. The film asks tough questions about who was responsible for the chaos that day. With compelling interviews and exclusive video footage, the documentary tells the real story of January 6.
The strangest part of the documentary was the story of Luke Coffee, “a Dallas-area film producer,” who claims he took his direction directly from God and describes the experience.
In the final analysis, I would not pay to see this documentary streamed or as a theatrically-released short.
We are so screwed.
“Nullius in verba.”-- take nobody's word for it!
“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.”-- George Bernard Shaw
“Progressive, liberal, Socialist, Marxist, Democratic Socialist -- they are all COMMUNISTS.”
“The key to fighting the craziness of the progressives is to hold them responsible for their actions, not their intentions.” – OCS "The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius “A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves, and traitors are not victims... but accomplices” -- George Orwell “Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." (The people gladly believe what they wish to.) ~Julius Caesar “Describing the problem is quite different from knowing the solution. Except in politics." ~ OCS
“The key to fighting the craziness of the progressives is to hold them responsible for their actions, not their intentions.” – OCS
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
“A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves, and traitors are not victims... but accomplices” -- George Orwell
“Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." (The people gladly believe what they wish to.) ~Julius Caesar
“Describing the problem is quite different from knowing the solution. Except in politics." ~ OCS