It appears that the Biden Administration is attempting to distract the American public from the ravages of increasing inflation, including the shortage of goods and upward spiraling prices, by threatening to prosecute “profiteers.”
Much of the Biden Administration’s rhetoric is Kabuki Theater prior to an election that is meant to misdirect the public’s attention away from the massive domestic and foreign policy failures caused by their ignorant progressive communist democrat agenda.
Initiative Puts Business Community on Notice that the Antitrust Division is Looking Out for Companies that Would Exploit Supply Chain Disruptions to Engage in Anticompetitive Conduct
In the wake of persistent price increases initially stemming from supply chain disruptions caused by the COVID-19 global pandemic, the Antitrust Division and the FBI announced an initiative today to deter, detect and prosecute those who would exploit supply chain disruptions to engage in collusive conduct.
“Temporary supply chain disruptions should not be allowed to conceal illegal conduct,” said Assistant Attorney General Jonathan Kanter of the Justice Department’s Antitrust Division. “The Antitrust Division will not allow companies to collude in order to overcharge consumers under the guise of supply chain disruptions.”
“The lingering challenge of supply chain disruptions from the COVID-19 pandemic has created an opportunity for criminals to fix prices and overcharge customers,” said Assistant Director Luis Quesada of the FBI’s Criminal Investigative Division. “The FBI and our law enforcement partners will continue to collaborate and investigate schemes that violate our antitrust laws and stifle our economic recovery.”
As part of the initiative, the Antitrust Division is prioritizing any existing investigations where competitors may be exploiting supply chain disruptions for illicit profit and is undertaking measures to proactively investigate collusion in industries particularly affected by supply disruptions. The Antitrust Division has also formed a working group focusing on global supply chain collusion with its global partners, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, the Canadian Competition Bureau, the New Zealand Commerce Commission and the United Kingdom Competition and Markets Authority. The working group is developing and sharing intelligence, utilizing existing international cooperation tools, to detect and combat collusive schemes.
The Department of Justice is committed to working closely with the public, the business community and other federal agencies to enforce the antitrust laws for the protection and welfare of the American people.
[OCS: Does that include union-monopolized operations, the big technology firms which operate platforms critical to business advertising and sales, and the big financial powerhouses that obtain money at near-zero rates and lend it at exorbitant rates which would have been considered usury in earlier times?]
What they are not saying…
Much of the supply chain disruptions are not caused by the illicit activities of profiteers. They are the result of:
- Basic supply and demand economic factors such as government-created inflation where too much gratuitously printed money chase too few goods.
- Commodity and finished goods price manipulations caused by government tariffs – a tax on domestic consumers to discourage purchasing regulated foreign goods.
- Rising costs yield rising taxes – which are welcomed by the government without any compensatory tax relief—especially the hidden taxes in utility bills and at the service station pumps.
- Government policies which restrict or shutter businesses that suddenly are no longer able to function profitably. Consider the decimation of the transportation and hospitality industries or those businesses providing personal services to individuals.
- Government programs which provide overly generous alternative compensation to those who are incentivized not to work.
- Government subsidies restrict agricultural production or allow non-market rate price supports.
- Government programs that demand that billions of gallons of clean water be diverted from agriculture to the ocean to support a worthless garbage fish.
- Increased shipping traffic caused by disruptions to foreign supply chains which result in companies over-ordering raw materials and finished inventory.
- Inventory and production problems introduced by disruptions to just-in-time inventory management and production schemes.
- Increased port handling times caused by arcane and exorbitant union work rules.
- A lack of trained drivers, especially those who have been fully vaccinated.
- Legislative restrictions imposed by California’s communist legislature (Assembly Bill 5) which banned independent owner/operator truckers from working even though much of the hauling involved non-union independent owner-operators.
- Restrictions on the types of vehicles that can enter the port. “The California Department of Motor Vehicles can only register trucks that are in compliance with the Truck and Bus Regulation. The rule calls for the vast majority of trucks, including those that service the ports, to have a 2010 or newer engine by 2023.” By 2035, all vehicles must be electric, even though electric vehicles are inefficient for continuous high-mileage operations.
- And, let us not forget public policy mandates for certain medications, masks, and other supplies to keep us safe with little or no scientific justification behind the mandate.
I much rather see the Department of Justice and the Federal Bureau of Investigation turn inward to clean house of those corrupt and politicized employees that brought about this catastrophe by subverting a presidential election resulting in this unnecessary disruption and devastation to our nation.
I would much rather see the prosecution of corrupt politicians who decimated our energy dependence and substituted unreliable, costly alternatives for cheaper energy.
What we have here is a massive diversion before the mid-term elections and possibly a shakedown to solicit bribes, I mean political contributions, for lobbying and avoidance of prosecutions.
Consider that most of whom the politicians blame for rising prices, like farmers, grocery stores, and energy producers, are low-margin operations – not massive profit centers when all costs and taxes are considered. As for those making a bundle, blame Congress and the tax laws that let mega-corporations off-shore profits and avoid taxes.
Even worse, let us remember all of those settlements where the allegations are neither admitted nor denied – and the consumers and citizens actually bear the cost of any “record” fine.
Remember this when you vote. Elections are not sporting events, the political parties are not teams -- your life and wallet are on the line. No matter what the government says (lies) about inflation or supply chain disruptions, most of them are immune from the day-to-day problems which affect us all, especially with their cushy salaries, perks, privileges, benefits, and no-cut jobs.
We are so screwed when the corruption comes from politicians and their special interest friends who keep them in office.
JUSTICE IS NOT JUSTICE IF IT ONLY APPLIES TO ONE SIDE!
“Nullius in verba.”-- take nobody's word for it!
“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.”-- George Bernard Shaw
“Progressive, liberal, Socialist, Marxist, Democratic Socialist -- they are all COMMUNISTS.”
“The key to fighting the craziness of the progressives is to hold them responsible for their actions, not their intentions.” – OCS "The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius “A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves, and traitors are not victims... but accomplices” -- George Orwell “Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." (The people gladly believe what they wish to.) ~Julius Caesar “Describing the problem is quite different from knowing the solution. Except in politics." ~ OCS
“The key to fighting the craziness of the progressives is to hold them responsible for their actions, not their intentions.” – OCS
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
“A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves, and traitors are not victims... but accomplices” -- George Orwell
“Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." (The people gladly believe what they wish to.) ~Julius Caesar
“Describing the problem is quite different from knowing the solution. Except in politics." ~ OCS