Sorry about the death sentence…
While the direct costs and impact of our incursion into Afghanistan are somewhat quantifiable in blood, time, effort, and money, substantial, additional costs of delayed or future indirect action have the potential to dwarf past costs.
Unfortunately, what we have learned since the Obama Administration, is the government and its intelligence, law enforcement, and state agencies cannot be trusted, lie without fear of sanctions, and appear to be covering up self-serving deals that benefit the politicians promoting particular positions.
I must question what we are being told about Afghanistan…
(1) Are we really withdrawing from Afghanistan, or is it more administration smoke and mirrors? Shifting the burden to covert special forces acting as advisors and supplemented with non-governmental organizations comprised of former soldiers acting as private contractors?
(2) Will Afghan operations be managed covertly, possibly without the knowledge of the entire congress, by a joint CIA/State Department coalition such as the one involved in the illegal arms trafficking in Benghazi, Libya?
(3) Will the funding for Afghan and Pakistani activities cease, or will it move to the “black ops budget?”
(4) Since the Taliban is said to have been created and controlled, to some degree, by Pakistan’s ISI (Inter-Services Intelligence), does our withdrawal have a Pakistan component? Hopefully, with severe sanctions on Pakistan for continued interference.
(5) Are there government officials in the United States and Afghanistan who have a vested interest in prolonging conflict to keep money flowing? Renewing battles just before withdrawal to delay the exit?
(6) What is the U.S. going to do about the profitable drug trade that sends drugs into the United States and has been a mainstay of Taliban funding?
(7) I wonder what the Biden administration will say to women and the LGTBQ+ community when they abandon women, gays, and young boys to the barbaric practices of the Taliban?
I do not see the answers coming from our elected officials, the non-governmental organizations, or the loose confederation of think tanks that advise the government.
(1) Can we trust a senile President Biden, his Obamacon handlers, the progressive socialist democrats in Congress, and the RINO (Republicans In Name Only) squishes to maintain the safety and security of America and her legitimate global interests?
(2) Will the 3-P strategy, Photo-Ops, Press-Releases, and Payments, involving Iran and China trump national security in the run-up to the 2022 mid-term elections? When presented with low-cost strategic alternatives to troublesome leaders, nations, and institutions, the United States traditionally avoided saying “no” and walking away. Using the 3-P process to simulate progress and achievement
(3) What about energy independence and the decimation of our fossil fuel, chemical, and plastics industries? Will we be forced into another involuntary wealth transfer to the Gulf States to secure oil in a rising price scenario?
(4) What about big money supporting our military-industrial complex?
(5) Can Biden, Pelosi, Feinstein, and McConnell say “no” to China given their self-interests in the region?
I have always believed that the roots of international terrorism were not in Afghanistan but Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, and Iran. And had it not been our need for Middle East energy and the Bush family relations with Saudi Arabia, we would have gone after bin Laden and the Saudis rather than entered the quagmire that is Afghanistan. The idea that we could purchase an American-style democracy in a fundamentally Islamic country living in the 12th century was ludicrous – except to those who would profit greatly from such an excursion. Pallets of cash disappeared while our inner cities went wanting. And, it is all the fault of the enlightened elite who believe they are so smart as to rule over all of us “little people.”
We are screwed when we can’t trust our elected officials to act in America's best interests and spend their time trying to destroy American within with their Marxist identity politics.
Proof: substitute “white” for the bourgeoisie, the class owning the means of production whose concerns are the value of property and the preservation of capital to ensure the perpetuation of their economic advantage, and “non-white” for the proletariat, the wage-earners whose only possession of significant value is their labor, and you have the classic Marxist struggle leading to revolution and the destruction of the capitalist system. To be replaced, of course, by a mythical communist system based on equality and equity where the little people share the miseries of life, and the communist leadership and oligarchs live fabulously. Proof: China, Russia, North Korea, Cuba, Venezuela, and other Marxist-dominated countries.
We are so screwed.
“Nullius in verba.”-- take nobody's word for it!
“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.”-- George Bernard Shaw
“Progressive, liberal, Socialist, Marxist, Democratic Socialist -- they are all COMMUNISTS.”
“The key to fighting the craziness of the progressives is to hold them responsible for their actions, not their intentions.” – OCS "The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius “A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves, and traitors are not victims... but accomplices” -- George Orwell
“The key to fighting the craziness of the progressives is to hold them responsible for their actions, not their intentions.” – OCS
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
“A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves, and traitors are not victims... but accomplices” -- George Orwell