The only benefits I can find from the Chinese Communist Party virus and the resulting global pandemic are a massive breaking of normal and customary habits, both personal and professional, as we responded to government-forced limitations, restrictions, and power-grabs; and the near absence of those caterwauling about the planetary emergency of global warming.
Considering that the original terrestrial temperature datasets have been lost through improper archiving or corrupted by endless statistical adjustments and homogenization efforts to give weight to an as-yet unproven hypothesis of man-made global warming, we turn to the most incorruptible data that exists, satellite data which actually is more accurate, more global, and more incorruptible than the terrestrial data. Unfortunately, the data only extends from 1979.
One degree C., in seventy years…
University of Alabama, Huntsville Global Temperature Update for March 2021
The Version 6.0 global average lower tropospheric temperature (LT) anomaly for March, 2021 was -0.01 deg. C, down substantially from the February, 2021 value of +0.20 deg. C.
REMINDER: We have changed the 30-year averaging period from which we compute anomalies to 1991-2020, from the old period 1981-2010. This change does not affect the temperature trends.
Right on time, the maximum impact from the current La Nina is finally being felt on global tropospheric temperatures. The global average oceanic tropospheric temperature anomaly is -0.07 deg. C, the lowest since November 2013. The tropical (20N-20S) departure from average (-0.29 deg. C) is the coolest since June of 2012. Australia is the coolest (-0.79 deg. C) since August 2014.
The linear warming trend since January, 1979 remains at +0.14 C/decade (+0.12 C/decade over the global-averaged oceans, and +0.18 C/decade over global-averaged land).
[OCS: If it wasn’t for the billions of government dollars washing through institutions, projects, and principal investigators and the use of a climate-augmented scenario to drive a globalist socialist agenda, do you think anyone would jump up-and-down screaming that “We the People” had only 9 – 12 years to avert a planetary catastrophe – when the “scientific data” indicates that the Earth’s average temperature (using the rate since 1979) would rise by one degree C, in 70 years. Well within the range of climate’s natural variability, including times prior to the industrial revolution.
The full UAH Global Temperature Report can be found on Dr. Spencer’s blog]
The global and regional monthly anomalies for the various atmospheric layers we monitor should be available in the next few days at the following locations:
Lower Troposphere: http://vortex.nsstc.uah.edu/data/msu/v6.0/tlt/uahncdc_lt_6.0.txt
(1) For someone to develop a scientifically valid and verifiable method to determine the Earth’s optimal temperature given geography and among competing bio-diversity interests.
(2) For someone to develop a scientifically valid and verifiable method to quantify the impact of the true drivers of global climate including the Sun’s energy output in all spectral bands, cosmic rays, the Earth’s position relative to the Sun, the Earth’s precessional and rotational dynamics, plate tectonics and vulcanology, the deep ocean currents, the internal dynamics of the Earth, and the greatest greenhouse gas of all” water vapor. None of which. I might add, can be altered by man on a global – or even a local scale.
(3) For someone to develop a scientifically valid and verifiable method to measure man’s climate signal amid nature’s climate normal variability in a chaotic system with complex feedbacks.
(4) For someone to develop a valid and verified non-parametric (no plug-in values) modeling system for computing the feedback of water vapor in the atmosphere in addition to all of the other variables.
(5) For someone to tell me that, given the geological timescales involved in global climate, why man would not adapt to shifting environmental changes over the next thousand years. Certainly, by then we will have developed desalinization, food production, and clean, cheap, portable energy.
(6) For some self-regulating body to sanction dishonest scientists, journals, and peer-reviewers and deal with funding-induced bias.
(7) And, most importantly, how to approach and control the political and institutional corruption that is impeding progress in controlling harmful pollution and destroying America from within.
Evaluating the gross temperature of the entire planet involves an inherent level of uncertainty that most assuredly exceeds the decimal point precision shown in most graphs. If you believe decimal point precision is anything more than the artifacts of arithmetical division in averaging numbers, you might well believe the bullpucky dished up by those with large dollar-value self-interests.
Conclusion: weather is variable and mostly unpredictable over long time periods. Climate is the net sum of the weather over longer time frames. Or in the case of most measurements, they are reported as a deviation from a mutually agreed upon baseline and known as anomalies.
We are so screwed.
“Nullius in verba.”-- take nobody's word for it!
“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.”-- George Bernard Shaw
“Progressive, liberal, Socialist, Marxist, Democratic Socialist -- they are all COMMUNISTS.”
“The key to fighting the craziness of the progressives is to hold them responsible for their actions, not their intentions.” – OCS "The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius “A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves, and traitors are not victims... but accomplices” -- George Orwell