Gun Control: We must outlaw the use of space heaters -- prevent 25,000 House Fires Each Year and 300 deaths!
There are any number of known legal devices, substances and practices which present a clear and present danger to American citizens. Among them are alcohol and tobacco – which the government hypocritically taxes, but does not prohibit – even in the face cancer-related deaths and higher healthcare costs, and of alcohol-related death or injury posing an going threat to our population.
So why not ban “space heaters” based on nothing more than liberal logic that it saves lives and “is for the children?”
25,000 House Fires Each Year Caused by Space Heaters; Safety Tips From Loyola
The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) estimates that more than 25,000 residential fires and more than 300 deaths are caused each year by space heaters. More than 6,000 Americans receive hospital emergency room care annually for burn injuries associated with room heaters.
Winter is not over and many more cold days lie ahead. The Burn Center at Loyola University Medical Center is warning the public about the dangers of space heaters used by so many to keep warm. "Every year we receive patients who are victims of house fires caused by space heaters," said Dr. Richard Gamelli, director of the Burn and Shock Trauma Institute at Loyola University Medical Center. The Loyola Burn Center is one of the busiest in the Midwest, treating nearly 700 patients annually in the hospital, and another 3,500 patients each year in its clinic.
For the public’s safety …
"So many of these injuries are preventable if simple precautions are taken," says Gamelli who is senior vice president and provost of the Health Sciences Division of Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine. About 40 percent of Loyola’s burn cases are children and the majority of these children are ages 2 and younger.
Some key tips from Loyola and the Department of Energy for space heater safety include:
General Portable Heater Safety Tips
• Keep space heaters at least 3 feet away from furniture or other combustible material, such as curtains and bedding. Don't place heaters on carpets or rugs.
• Locate space heaters on a hard, level surface where a child or family pet cannot brush up against them.
• Never leave a space heater on when an adult is not present in the room.
• Never keep flammable liquids near a space heater.
• Mobile homes should use only vented fuel-fired or electric heaters.
Electric Space Heaters
• The safest space heaters for the home, plug electric space heaters directly into a wall outlet. Use a heavy-duty cord of 14-gauge wire or larger if an extension cord is needed.
• Buy a unit with a tip-over safety switch, to shut off the heating element if the unit topples over.
Combustion Space Heaters
• Only use unvented combustion heaters outside your home because they can introduce harmful products such as carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxide into your breathing area.
• Vented units that are sealed combustion heaters are safer to operate than others because they are less likely to backdraft and harm indoor air quality. They operate more efficiently because they do not draw in the heated air from the room and exhaust it to the outdoors.
• Follow manufacturer’s recommendations for fueling and use only the approved fuel.
• Never fill a heater that is hot.
• Never overfill a heater. Allow room for fuel expansion.
• Store fuel outdoors.
• Have vented space heaters professionally inspected each year. If the heater is not vented properly, blocked, rusted or corroded, dangerous levels of carbon monoxide (CO) may cause illness or even death.
• Do not go to sleep with a fuel-fired heater on as carbon monoxide levels could rise and be fatal.
• Make sure there is a guard around the heating element or flame area.
The Loyola Burn Center staff of more than 70 specially trained medical professionals provides comprehensive care for adults and children with thermal injuries, electrical burns, chemical injuries, frostbite, toxic epidermal necrolysis, inhalation injuries and complex soft-tissue infections. A multidisciplinary team, which includes resuscitation, pulmonary support, wound management, nutritional support and rehabilitation personnel, provide care in the Burn Center. The Loyola Burn Center was awarded verification by the American College of Surgeons (ACS) and the American Burn Association (ABA). This recognition is only granted to those programs that have met and exceeded the ACS and ABA standards and review. Source: 25,000 House Fires Each Year Caused by Space Heaters; Safety Tips From Loyola
And for our safety …
We know what the effect of crime and crazies has wrought on our society. Now it is time to deal with the root cause – not guns – but the minority abuse of guns in the democrat-controlled inner cities. Regardless of how liberals feel about profiling, inner city minorities represent a clear and present danger to themselves and their fellow residents. It is time to take action against the gangs which are the proximate cause of the deaths in the inner cities. These inner cities already have some of the strictest democrat-proposed gun laws in existence, and it does absolutely nothing to deter crazies and criminals. And, if the local and state police are unwilling to take action lest they offend the racist loud-mouth community activists, I suggest that disarming the population only creates a greater pool of victims and a reason for larger, more corrupt and incompetent, government.
Bottom line …
President Obama and his fellow socialist travelers in government are hell bent on disarming American citizens to curtail any potential “We the People” response to the increasing tyrannical actions of our government as they continue to loot the American treasury and provide perks, privileges and profits to special interests in the name of advancing international socialism.
It is time that people assume individual responsibility for their actions and tell our government to respect our individual and collective freedoms. And, for government to obey our Constitution which grants power to the federal government and specifically enumerates those powers.
The real issue at hand is not gun control, but crime control. And, even worse, it is MINORITY CRIME that is the real issue – a subject that liberals do not want to address as minorities comprise their voter base and their winning coalition lynchpin.
The fact that they are trying to avoid disclosing is that you will be creating a larger pool of victims that are dependent upon a corrupt government who cannot provide personal police assistance when and where it is needed. Hence, our Constitution reinforces our rights to self-defense against crazies, criminals and a tyrannical government with the Second Amendment.
“Nullius in verba.”-- take nobody's word for it!
“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.”-- George Bernard Shaw
“Progressive, liberal, Socialist, Marxist, Democratic Socialist -- they are all COMMUNISTS.”
“The key to fighting the craziness of the progressives is to hold them responsible for their actions, not their intentions.” – OCS "The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius “A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves, and traitors are not victims... but accomplices” -- George Orwell “Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." (The people gladly believe what they wish to.) ~Julius Caesar “Describing the problem is quite different from knowing the solution. Except in politics." ~ OCS
“The key to fighting the craziness of the progressives is to hold them responsible for their actions, not their intentions.” – OCS
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
“A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves, and traitors are not victims... but accomplices” -- George Orwell
“Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." (The people gladly believe what they wish to.) ~Julius Caesar
“Describing the problem is quite different from knowing the solution. Except in politics." ~ OCS