And yet another commercial featuring firefighters, police and nurses hawking the praise of another California proposition.
The problem is that this is all PHONY and designed to lull you into a false sense of security.
Most of these ads originate in the offices of lawyers, lobbyists, public relations and corporate big-wigs ... and fronted by politicians and so-called leaders of "public service" agencies. Most of which are "political action committees." And any benefits accruing to their membership comes from their association with the politicians they have bought and paid for with these political position and advocacy ads.
So before you are suckered into supporting propositions which either have a major impact on the current and future political power structure or cede special privileges and public money to special interest groups ... research the proposition carefully.
POWER: California Proposition 93
Ostensibly to reduce the overall total amount of time a person could serve in the state legislature from 14 years to 12 years. The current law sets term limits for Senators at 8 years and Assembly Members 6 years --for a maximum total of 14 years in both the Senate and the Assembly .
- Proposition 93 would extend the amount of time that a politician could serve in either the Assembly or the Senate to twelve years in either chamber
- circumvents existing term limits legislation and is designed to allow the corrupt leaders of California's legislature and others to remain in their cushy positions when they would be "termed out" according to existing law (increases the legislator's benefit package and opportunity to continue their profligate spending)
- Proposition 93 provides a transition period to allow current members to serve a total of 12 consecutive years in the house in which they are currently serving, regardless of any prior service in another house.
- As a practical matter, if Proposition 93 passes, current members of the California State Assembly would be able to stay in office six years longer than they are allowed by current term limits, and current members of the California State Senate would be able to stay in office four years longer than they can under the current rules.
funding for the deal -- the politicians themselves and the usual gang of special interests like unions, political action committees, lawyers and lobbyists who have business before the state or need the assistance of politicians to push their special interest legislation and sweetheart deals
SMART MOVE: Term the bastards who blindly led California into this fiscal crisis out of office
UPDATE: 1-31-08 From the Sacramento Bee...
The Sacramento Bee has disclosed the names of the sponsors of television advertising many of whom may have tried to circumvent disclosure per a suggestion by Fabian Nunez...
"Of the 17 Democratic legislators who have contributed to Proposition 93, only Assembly Democrats Karen Bass and Ted Lieu gave $50,000. Assembly Speaker Fabian Núñez, in October, asked members of his Democratic caucus to give slightly less than that, $45,000, to the term limits initiative. Six legislators have chipped in exactly that -- $45,000."
"Not a random figure, perhaps. Donors of $50,000 risk having to disclose their names in campaign advertisements. If numerous folks hit that threshold, ads must list the top two, according to the state Fair Political Practices Commission."
"So, you won't spot their names on TV ads, but the $45,000 donors are ... Senate Democrat Darrell Steinberg of Sacramento, and Assembly Democrats Mike Eng of Monterey Park, Alberto Torrico of Newark, Dave Jones of Sacramento, Fiona Ma of San Francisco and Hector de la Torre of South Gate."
MONEY: California Proposition 94, 95, 96, 97
Ostensibly to bring California many millions of dollars in increased tax revenues by allowing Indian gaming organizations to increase the number of slot machines in their facilities...
- allows Indians to avoid California audits and tell the state what revenues have been generated (motivation for potential massive fraud and political slush funds)
- demands that the State not allow other gambling operations which could bring California much more than the revenues from Indian gaming -- especially if the entire state is opened up to gambling taxed and regulated by the state under normal business practices
- in the face of increasing local traffic, air pollution and other environmental hazards, these propositions allow the Indian's to forgo environmental impact studies or perform the studies themselves
- these propositions cover only four of the largest Indian gaming operations ... how soon will it be that others will be clamoring for similar deals
- the funds are not designated for special use related to firefighters, police, healthcare and will simply be placed in the "general fund" to either pay the interest on our burgeoning debt or fund additional special interest spending as the corrupt and chaotic legislature sees fit.
funding for the deal -- the Indian gaming operations
funding against the deal -- other casino operators who want a fair chance to compete in California.
SMART MOVE: Open California's gaming operations to all qualified gambling operators to significantly increase California's revenue stream beyond what is project for Indian gaming operations. Apply a consistent set of California business tax, license and practice rules and regulations to all -- regardless of their ethnic heritage.
What can YOU do?
Study the issues and vote smart.
Do not support any of the politicians who are trying to trick you into extending their political reign as California's potentates -- especially those who have managed to spend us into the current financial crisis.
Do not allow the legislators to spend additional funds for any educational or social use until they resolve the current crisis.
Demand that legal citizens of the State of California and the United States of America receive benefits before extending charity to illegal aliens.
Do not vote for any candidate or current politician who is willing to subvert the safety, security, sovereignty and economic strength of the United States or limit an individual's right of self-defense for their personal philosophy, power, prestige or profits.
A reminder from OneCitizenSpeaking.com: a large improvement can result from a small change…
The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. -- Marcus Aurelius
“Nullius in verba.”-- take nobody's word for it!
“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.”-- George Bernard Shaw
“Progressive, liberal, Socialist, Marxist, Democratic Socialist -- they are all COMMUNISTS.”
“The key to fighting the craziness of the progressives is to hold them responsible for their actions, not their intentions.” – OCS "The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius “A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves, and traitors are not victims... but accomplices” -- George Orwell “Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." (The people gladly believe what they wish to.) ~Julius Caesar “Describing the problem is quite different from knowing the solution. Except in politics." ~ OCS
“The key to fighting the craziness of the progressives is to hold them responsible for their actions, not their intentions.” – OCS
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
“A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves, and traitors are not victims... but accomplices” -- George Orwell
“Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." (The people gladly believe what they wish to.) ~Julius Caesar
“Describing the problem is quite different from knowing the solution. Except in politics." ~ OCS